• Chattajack

Williams Island - Mile 7

At Mile 7 on the Chattajack course you reach Williams Island (450 acres)


"Though uninhabited by humans now, the island was occupied by many generations in the past. Sites dating from 12,000 B.C. have been identified. Archaeologists have also researched a Mississippian-era Indian village which stood on the island from roughly 1000 A.D. to 1650. The village included the leader’s residence, a temple and burial mounds, and many wooden houses. Spanish trade artifacts from the late 16th century were found on the island. In 1776, Bloody Fellow, established the village, Tuskegee Town. Beginning around 1800, John Brown operated a ferry to the island, and he was known as being an excellent guide for travelers through the rapids of the river gorge. The island received its present name when Samuel Williams acquired it, following the Cherokee removal." - Harmon Jolley





  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

Like us on Facebook!

Copyright © 2016-20 Chattajack | Website by C&A